The authors thank Roquette Frères, France for a generous gift of HPβ-CD. The authors thank Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd. and
Maan Pharmaceuticals Ltd., India for providing lovastatin and various formulation excipients, respectively as gift samples.
The authors are grateful to the Department of Pharmacy, M.S. University, India for conducting differential scanning calorimetry
studies and to Sun Pharmaceutical Advance Research Center, India for conducting X-ray diffraction studies of the samples.
Rakesh P. Patel* is an assistant professor and Madhabhai M. Patel is a professor and the head of the department of pharmaceutics, S K Patel College of Pharmaceutical Education and Research,
Ganpat University, Ganpat vidyanagar, Kherva 382711, Mehsana, Gujarat, India, email@example.com
*To whom all correspondence should be addressed.
Submitted: July 10, 2006. Accepted: Oct. 11, 2006.
Keywords: lovastatin, hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin, inclusion complexation, in vitro dissolution studies.
1. J.S. MacDonald et al., "Preclinical Evaluation of Lovastatin," Am. J. Cardiol
. 62 (15), 16J–27J (1998).
2. E.E. Slater and J.S. MacDonald, "Mechanism of Action and Biological Profile of HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitors: A New Therapeutic
36 (Suppl. 3), 72–82 (1998).
3. S.B. Gerald, K.E Dean, and J.K. Micheal, "Lovastatin," in Analytical Profiles of Drug Substances and Excipients, Vol. 21, G.B. Harry, Ed., (Academic Press, Inc., New York, NY, 1992), pp. 277–315.
4. D.O. Thompson, "Cyclodextrins-Enabling Excipients: Their Present and Future Use in Pharmaceuticals," Crit. Rev. Ther. Drug Carrier Syst.
14 (1), 1–104 (1997).
5. C.M. Fernandes, V.M. Teresa, and F.J. Veiga, "Physicochemical Characterization and In Vitro Dissolution Behavior of Nicardipine-Cyclodextrins Inclusion Compounds," Eur. J. Pharm. Sci.
15 (11), 79–88 (2002).
6. M. Kamada et al., "Cyclodextrin Conjugate-Based Controlled Release System: Repeated- and Prolonged-Releases of Ketoprofen after Oral Administration
in Rats," J. Control. Release
82 (2-32-3), 407–416 (2002).
7. K. Uekama and M. Otagiri, "Cyclodextrins in Drug Carrier Systems," Crit. Rev. Ther. Drug Carrier Syst.
3 (1), 1–40 (1987).
8. S. Baboota, M. Dhaliwal, and K. Kohli, "Physicochemical Characterization, In Vitro Dissolution Behavior, and Pharmacodynamic
Studies of Rofecoxib-cyclodextrin Inclusion Compounds," AAPS PharmSciTech . 6 (1), E83–E90 (2005).
9. G. S. Tirucherai and A. K. Mitra, "Effect of Hydroxypropyl Beta Cyclodextrin Complexation on Aqueous Solubility, Stability,
and Corneal Permeation of Acyl Ester Prodrugs of Ganciclovir," AAPS PharmSciTech.
4 (3), E45 (2003).
10. B. N. Nalluri et al.,"Physicochemical Characterization and Dissolution Properties of Nimesulide-Cyclodextrin Binary Systems," AAPS PharmSciTechnol
. 4 (1), E2 (2003).