1. J.M. Harris, Introduction to Biotechnical and Biomedical Applications of Poly(Ethylene Glycol) in Poly(Ethylene Glycol) Chemistry: Biotechnical
and Biomedical Applications (Topics in Applied Chemistry), J.M. Harris, Ed. (Plenum, New York, 1992).
2. A. Kozlowski and J. M. Harris, "Improvements in Protein PEGylation: Pegylated Interferons for Treatment of Hepatitis C,"
J. Controlled Release
72, 217–224 (2001).
3. D.J. Winzor. "Analytical Exclusion Chromatography," J. Biochem. Biophys. Methods
56 (1–3), 15–52 (2003).
4. J.Y. Shey and C.M. Sun, "Liquid-Phase Combinatorial Reaction Monitoring by Conventional 1H NMR Spectroscopy," Tetrahedron Lett.
43, 1725–1729 (2002).
5. J.L. Koenig and A.C. Angood, "Raman Spectra of Poly(ethylene glycols) in Solution," J. Polymer Sci.
Part A-2: Polymer Physics
8 (10), 1787–1796 (1970).
6. P.B. O'Connor and F.W. McLafferty, "Oligomer Characterization of 4-23 kDa Polymers by Electrospray Fourier Transform Mass
Spectrometry," J. Am. Chem. Soc.
117, 12826–12831 (1995).
7. S.D. Hanton, "Mass Spectrometry of Polymers and Polymer Surfaces," Chem. Rev.
101 (2), 527–570 (2001).
8. C.G. de Koster et al. "Endgroup analysis of Polyethylene Glycol Polymers by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization
Fourier-Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spectrometry," Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom.
9 (10), 957–962 (1995).
9. L.M. Nuwaysir, C.L. Wilkins, and W.J. Simonsick, Jr., "Analysis of Copolymers by Laser Desorption Fourier Transform Mass
Spectrometry," J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom.
1, 66–71 (1990).
10. E.P. Maziarz, III, G.A. Baker, and T.D. Wood. "Capitalizing on the High Mass Accuracy of Electrospray Ionization Fourier
Transform Mass Spectrometry for Synthetic Polymer Characterization: A Detailed Investigation of Poly(dimethylsiloxane)," Macromolecules
32, 4411–4418 (1999).
11. M.W.F. Nielen, "MALDI Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry of Synthetic Polymers," Mass Spectrom. Rev.
18, 309–344 (1999).
12. T. Nohmi and J.B. Fenn "Electrospray Mass Spectrometry of Poly(ethy1ene glycols) with Molecular Weights up to Five Million"
J. Am. Chem. Soc.
114, 3241–3246 (1992).
13. J.J. Palmgred et al.,"Liquid Chromatographic–Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometric Analysis of Neutral and Charged
Polyethylene Glycols," J. Chromatogr.
976, 165–170 (2002).
14. J.D. Lennon, S.P. Cole, and G.L. Glish, "Ion–Molecule Reactions To Chemically Deconvolute the Electrospray Ionization
MassSpectra of Synthetic Polymers," Anal. Chem.
78, 8472–8476 (2006).
15. D. Bagal, H. Zhang, and P.D. Schnier, "Gas-Phase Proton-Transfer Chemistry Coupled with TOF Mass Spectrometry and Ion
Mobility-MS for the Facile Analysis of Poly(ethylene glycols) and PEGylated Polypeptide Conjugates," Anal. Chem.
80, 2408–2418 (2008).
16. J.L. Stephenson and S.A. McLuckey, "Reactions of Poly(ethylene glycol) Cations with Iodide and Perfluorocarbon Anions,"
J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom.
9, 957-9651, (1998).
17. S. D. Pringle et al., "An Investigation of the Mobility Separation of Some Peptide and Protein Ions Using a New Hybrid
Quadrupole/Travelling Wave IMS/oa-TOF Instrument." Int. J. Mass Spectrom.
261, 1–12 (2007).
18. K. Giles et al., "Applications of a travelling Wave-Based Radio-Frequency Only Stacked Ring Ion Guide," Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom.
18, 2401–2414 (2004).
Asish B. Chakraborty is a senior scientist, Weibin Chen*, is a principal research chemist, and John C. Gebler is the director, all at Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Waters Corporation, 34 Maple Street, Milford, MA 01757, Weibin_Chen@Waters.com
*To whom all correspondence should be addressed.
What would you do differently? Email your thoughts about this paper to email@example.com
and we may post them to the site.