Robert J. Thomas* is a Research Councils UK academic fellow in biomanufacturing, and David J. Williams is the professor of healthcare engineering and director of the Research School of Health and Life Sciences, both at Loughborough
University, Loughborough, UK, LE11 3TU, tel. +44 1509 227601, R.J.Thomas@lboro.ac.uk
*To whom all correspondence should be addressed.
What would you do differently? Submit your comments about this paper in the space below.
1. M.J. Lysaught, A. Jaklenec, and E. Deweerd, "Great Expectations: Private Sector Activity in Tissue Engineering, Regenerative
Medicine, and Stem Cell Therapeutics," Tissue Engin., 14 (Part A), 305–315 (2008).
2. R. Archer and D.J. Williams, "Why Tissue Engineering Needs Process Engineering," Nature Biotechnol.,
23 (11), 1353–1355 (2005).
3. C. Allegrucci, Y.Z. Wu, and A. Thurston, "Restriction Landmark Genome Scanning Identifies Culture-Induced DNA Methylation
Instability in the Human Embryonic Stem Cell Epigenome," Human Molec. Gen.
16 (10), 1253–1268 (2007b).
4. D. Brafman et al., "Defining Long-Term Maintenance Conditions of Human Embryonic Stem Cells with Arrayed Cellular Microenvironment
Technology," Stem Cells Develop., electronic publication ahead of print (2009).
5. D. Van Hoof, A.J. Heck, J. Krijgsveld, and C.L. Mummery, "Proteomics and Human Embryonic Stem Cells," Stem Cell Res.,
1 (3), 169–182 (2008).
6. M.S. Bodnar, J.J. Meneses, R.T. Rodriguez, and M.T. Firpo, Propagation and Maintenance of Undifferentiated Human Embryonic
Stem Cells," Stem Cells Develop.,
13 (3), 243–253 (2004).
7. R. J. Thomas et al., "Manufacture of a Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Population Using an Automated Cell Culture Platform,"
55 (1), 31–39 (2007).
8. R.J. Thomas et al., "Automated, Scalable Culture of Human Embryonic Stem Cells in Feeder-Free Conditions," Biotechnol. Bioengin., 102 (6), 1636–44 (2009).
9. R.J. Thomas et al., "Automated, Serum-Free Production of CTX0E03: A Therapeutic Clinical Grade Human Neural Stem Cell
Line," Biotechnolo. Letters, electronic publication ahead of print (2009).
10. R.J. Thomas, P.C. Hourd, and D.J. Williams, "Application of Process Quality Engineering Techniques to Improve the Understanding
of the in vitro Processing of Stem Cells for Therapeutic Use," Jrnl. of Biotechnol., 136 (3–4), 148–155 (2008).