Pulsatile drug release during a 24h period, consistent with the requirements for chronopharmaceutical drug delivery, was achieved
from insoluble gelatin capsules, in which microencapsulated DS was sealed by a hydrogel plug (guar gum, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose,
sodium alginate, sodium carboxymethylcellulose). This modified Pulsincap dosage form could be beneficial to the chronotherapy
of RA as it has demonstrated programmable, time and pHdependent, sitespecific drug release, and offers an effective controlledrelease
alternative to traditional dosage forms that have been met with poor patient compliance.
Dr Gayatri C.Patel is Assistant Professor at the Department of Pharmaceutics Maliba Pharmacy College Gopal Vidyanagar, Bardoli-Mahuva Road,
Surat-394350, Gujarat (India). Tel. +91 2625 255144,255882 Fax +91 2625 255882 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Madhabhai M. Patel is Principal and Head of Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology at Kalol Institute of Pharmacy (India).
1. W.J. Elliott, Postgrad. Med., 110(2), 119–129 (2001).
2. C.B. Subal, Pharmabiz, August 2005.
3. A.J. Swannell, Br. J. Clin. Pract.,
38, 16–19 (1983).
4. R. Kinget et al., J. Drug Target., 6(2), 129–149 (1998).
5. S. Sarasija and A. Hota, Indian J. Pharm. Sci., 62, 1–8 (2000).
6. C. Boissier, H. Decousus and B. Perpoint, Annual Review of Chronopharmacology,
7(12), 289–292 (1990).
7. M. Sripathy, M.S. Srinath and K.L.K. Paranjothy, Eastern Pharmacist, 42(498), 97–98 (1999).
8. C.M. Adeyene and P.K. Li, "Diclofenac sodium," in K. Florey, Ed, Analytical profiles of drug substances, Volume 19 (Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990) pp 123–144.
9. M. Alfred, J. Swarbrick and A. Cammarata, Physical Pharmacy, 4th Edition (B. I. Warerly Pvt.Ltd, New Delhi, India, 1999) p 355.
10. L. Lachman, A. Lieberman and J.L. Kinig, The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy, 4th Edition (Varghese Publishing House, Bombay, India, 1998) pp 67–68.
11. USP 23–NF 18 (USP Convention Inc., Rockville, MD, USA), p 940.
12. H.H. Willard et al., Instrumental Methods of Analysis, 6th Edition (CBS Publishers and Distributors, Delhi, India, 1986) pp 177–216.
13. X. Chen, S.Z. Jun and M.O. Yun, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm., 31(2), 127–134 (2005).
14. C. Gang et al., World J. Gestroenterol., 10(12), 1769–1774 (2004)
15. R. Morta, L. Jose and J. Vila. J. Contr. Rel., 55(1), 67–77 (1998).