Vaccines have represented an important tool in combating infectious disease and may eventually find a place in treating chronic
diseases such as cancer. After a dip in activity during the early part of the decade, manufacturer interest in vaccines R&D
is slowly being rekindled because of government initiatives and new public health threats. The highly organised European vaccines
sector is particularly well placed to benefit from renewed market opportunities; however, it needs to tread carefully, as
public concern over industry profits leaves the commercial sector open for criticism, as well as praise when it responds to
new healthcare challenges.
1. in-Pharma Technologist, "Vaccine decline must be halted, says opinion leader" (2005).
2. L.A. Johnson, US News and World Report, "Vaccine 'Revolution' on Horizon for AIDS, Alzheimer's, Herpes" (2009).
3. Synbiosis, "Rapid Assessment of Vaccine Potency" (2009).
4. The Telegraph, "Cervical cancer vaccine will cut cases by two thirds, experts calculate" (2010).
5. FiercePharma, "Provenge scrips hit 500 as payers agree to pay" (2010).
6. WSJ Health Blog, "The Provenge Dilemma: Who Gets Dendreon's New Therapy?" (2010). http://blogs.wsj.com/
7. Bloomberg, "Prostate Cancer Patients Face Rationing of Provenge" (2010).
8. New York Times, "Vaccine Approved for Child Infections" (2010).
9. BioPharma Today, "Prevnar 13's Added Strains, Extra Studies Help Insulate Pfizer's U.S. Position" (2009).
10. GlaxoSmithKline, "GSK Fourth Quarter Results" (2009).
11. European Vaccine Manufacturers (2009).
12. European Vaccine Manufacturers, "Vaccines' contribution to Europe's future" (2010).
13. European Vaccine Manufacturers, "EVM statement to the Council of Europe hearing" (2010).
14. European Vaccine Manufacturers, "Human vaccines: New questions for European Vaccine Initiative" (2010).
16. CIDRAP, "More clouds in H1N1 vaccine supply picture" (2009).
17. Novartis, "Novartis successfully demonstrates capabilities of cell-based technology for production of A(H1N1) vaccine"
18. WRAL.com, "World Health Organization certifies GSK's H1N1 vaccine" (2009).
19 in-Pharma Technologist, "GSK's H1N1 orders total 440m doses" (2009).